This report will accompany a power point presentation, images and a pdf of my previous blog entries on research as the final submission for this assessment.
Assessment ShearmanC_MD_02_Task003 – Digital Workflow report
This was an interesting assignment, research and consider approaches to the production of images for the media. Shoot images, and put together a presentation of those that best tell the story you have pitched. (summarized from previous assessment brief).
As mentioned in my earlier assessment, my choice was a series of images of older Australians (particularly Ulysses Club members) enjoying the social aspects of motorcycling.
As my images involved people and social activities, I approached my local Ulysses club branch (of which I am a brand new member, having recently relocated) and asked permission to photograph a few of their upcoming rides and events, explaining exactly what I had in mind for the final images. Fortunately, they were more than happy to accommodate me, and in return, I provided them with digital and print images for their website, newsletters and general archive.
This approach, while making my research and image taking much easier, as I had wonderful access, meant that I was actually taking images for two purposes at the same time, so I had to shoot a lot of images that weren’t necessarily going to be useful for my assessment. This created a larger amount of images to be catalogued, sorted, edited and put through my DAM. However, the advantages far outweighed the disadvantage of extra work, even though my DAM process had to be altered to accommodate it.
As my normal DAM is to backup to my external hard drive, backup again to a separate NAS drive, then import, cull, catalogue (adding metadata and keywords), edit, save in two separate locations (one for PSD and one for final version JPG), then rename to keep the file names sequential, resize for web and backup the final files off site, it can easily be seen that this would not work for keeping the same images in two separate catalogues, making it difficult to locate just the images that I wanted for this assessment.
I decided, in the end, to treat the assessment and the club images as separate entities, projects by different clients was the way that I approached it. I performed my usual DAM, as mentioned above on all of the images as if they were solely for the Ulysses club, so I created a folder for each of the dates that photographs were taken (see screen shot below), edited, applied Adobe RGB colour space, as required by this assessment, as it was applicable to all images that I was editing for internet and print publishing, and applied the final parts of DAM process to each folder as they were completed.
Image 1 – Screenshot of folders with naming protocols for the first part of this assessment (note, as this folder contains images from a particular month, there are folders that do not relate to this assessment, and I have moved one folder across from a different month for the purpose of having them all in one screen shot).
After the final images were completed under this process, I selected several of my favourite images (a total of about 75) for the assessment (knowing that I would be culling, but wanting a good selection to choose from), re-edited them, as I had decided on monochrome for the assessment images, and most were in colour, then created a new folder system for these copies, and put them through a separate DAM process, where they were imported into a new catalogue, given extra keywords in a custom metadata template (see screenshot after this paragraph) and exported to the new folder system and renamed with a sequential system unique to this assessment.
The final images were backed up again under these names to both my local hard drive (external to my laptop) and my backup NAS hard drive (on a totally different system). They, along with the original Ulysses copies, will be backed up to DVD in my monthly back up (which may become weekly as my volume of work increases) and sent offsite for secure storage in a fireproof safe at my mothers residence.
Image 2 – Custom metadata template being applied to final images for assessment (both high resolution and edited web versions)
All in all, while there is definitely room for improvement in this DAM process, particularly in streamlining image importing and processing for two catalogues, overall, I am happy with the results that I have achieved with this part of the assessment. My images were easy to find and compare, easy to cull and easy to import and export, both for web, email, printing and delivery to both the Ulysses club and the Powerpoint presentation that I created for this assessment.